Below you can find an overview of frequently asked questions about the GVG travel app. Can't find your question? Contact our Customer Service.
Purchasing and activating tickets
1. How do I purchase a barcode ticket in the app? All payments are done via the GVB app. Tickets can be purchased using iDeal, Visa, and Mastercard. 2. Can I purchase a ticket for multiple persons at the same time on one mobile phone? Yes, but only if all travellers are making the same trip(s). Each person must have their own individual activated barcode ticket to be able to travel. It is not possible to share a barcode ticket with others. The person who has purchased the tickets first checks in their fellow travellers and then goes through the gate as the last traveller of the group. 3. How many tickets can I purchase in the app? You can buy up to 20 different tickets in one purchase. 4. Are tickets purchased in the app more expensive than paper tickets? No. The available barcode tickets have the same price as paper chip cards or the public transport chip card version. 5. Can I activate multiple tickets in one action? No. A ticket is a personal travel card, so each ticket must be activated individually. 6. Can I share a ticket with another person? No. A ticket is a personal travel card and cannot be shared with other travellers.
7. Can I use the ticket at a P+R location? No. A GVB barcode ticket purchased in the GVB app (or in other apps) cannot be used to obtain a discount from a P+R vending machine.
8. What is the expiry date of a non-activated ticket?
You have 30 days to activate and use a non-activated ticket. The activation date (indicated by "activate before") is also visible on a purchased ticket.
If you have allowed notifications or push notifications, you will receive a text reminder two days (48 hours) before this period expires.
Checking in and out with your barcode ticket
1. How do I check in and out at the metro gates?
Check in and out at the metro at the metro gates with barcode reader. Hold your phone about 10 cm above the card reader to have your barcode scanned properly.
2. How do I check in and out in tram and bus?
In the tram or bus you check in and out by holding your barcode under the barcode reader. To do this, hold the back of your phone with the barcode facing up on the circle with the QR code below the card reader.
Something went wrong
1. I have purchased a ticket, but I received the notification 'Payment status failed'. What do I do now? First check whether the payment has been deducted from your bank account. If no such deduction was made, try to make the purchase again. If an amount has been deducted, however, contact our Customer Service to submit a request for reimbursement. 2. The app is malfunctioning and I can't purchase a ticket. What do I do now?
Fortunately, there are other ways to pay for your ride. You can easily check in and out with your contactless debit card or credit card (card or on your mobile). Read more about this on the OVpay page. At various stops and sales points you can purchase a paper chip card. Click here to see all points of sale where you can go for assistance before you start your travels, and look for one near you. In most cases, you can also purchase a ticket in a public transport vehicle.
3. The app is malfunctioning and I have already purchased a ticket. What do I do now? If you are unable to check in for the metro or show your ticket to a bus or tram driver or conductor because the app is malfunctioning through no fault of your own, contact our Customer Service to submit a request for reimbursement. 4. Can I cancel my barcode purchase, and will a purchased ticket be reimbursed by GVB? No, the principle of "final sale" applies here. A two-week reflection period, as is seen with most internet purchases, does not apply to Passenger Transport Services. You cannot return the card after purchase. After payment with iDEAL or credit card (Visa or Mastercard), the order can no longer be canceled. When you pay via iDEAL or credit card, your purchase will be settled immediately. 5. I accidentally pressed the "activation" button twice and my ticket is already valid. Can I deactivate it? No, a ticket is valid once it has been activated in the GVB app. 6. I have a valid ticket, but I cannot check in at a metro gateor card reader in the tram/bus?
The barcode can only be properly scanned if the telephone screen is not damaged. If your screen is undamaged but checking in at different gates with a barcode reader or card readers in the tram/bus fails, try setting the brightness of your telephone screen to the maximum possible level. At the metro gate, keep your telephone approximately 10 cm above the card reader to scan your barcode properly. At the card readers in the tram/bus, you hold the back of your phone with the barcode facing up on the circle with the QR code below the card reader. (See 'Checking in and out with your barcode ticket') If this still doesn't allow you to check in, contact GVB Customer Service.